Pros and Cons of Electric Fireplaces: A Complete List of Aspects You Never Thought of
So what are all the Pros and Cons of Electric Fireplaces? ...Are they worth all the Hype?
A comfortable way to heat a home in the winter is with a fireplace. It can be challenging to determine whether they are worthwhile if you have never owned one before. Nowadays, people are getting electric fireplaces as an alternative. In this article, we’ve curated 5 main pros and cons that you should know when getting an electric fireplace.
First Things First, What Exactly is an Electric Fireplace?
An electric fireplace is a heating source that resembles a conventional wood-burning or gas fireplace but does not need any form of venting or specialized installation.
When an electric fireplace is in use, cool air is drawn in, heated internally by a heating coil, and then gently forced back into the room by a fan.
Infrared technology is another feature of some electric fireplaces, and it is used to heat objects in a room directly. In both situations, additional heating is given where it is needed without creating a mess or emitting harmful gasses.
What are the Cons of Electric Fireplaces?
- Electric Powered - Since electric fireplaces are powered by electricity, power outages will prevent you from using them. They won't be a dependable heat source if you reside in a remote area with frequent power outages. So, either get an alternative heating source or invest in a backup power supply.
- May Look Unrealistic- Electric fireplaces are not for people who enjoy the overall experience of a natural fireplace. Like smelling the burning wood, the sound that it makes, and even the flames can look tacky for some brands. You miss out on the enjoyment of tending, probing, and poking a genuine fire.
- Safety concerns - Electric fireplaces tend to require the most electricity even though they can operate from a typical 120v household socket. If your outlet is overloaded or has other appliances plugged into it, you risk blowing a fuse or the circuit if there are other appliances on the same circuit.
- Inconvenient - Even though some electric fireplaces may be set up without an electrician, there are some that require more than one person to get them standing.
- Dust Can Accumulate - Electric fireplaces don't emit smoke or fumes. However, the dust that collects on the actual machine itself might cause asthma attacks. Your electric fireplace's casing should always be cleaned. After removing the dust and debris with a moist cloth, dry the area off.
So What Are The Pros of Getting an Electric Fireplace…?
- Convenience Pros - Yes, we did mention that convenience is a con, but there are also fireplaces that are easy to install! Electric fireplace inserts can be paired with furniture such as corner TV stands, fireplace media centers, mantels, or bookshelves because they are available in a wide range of sizes and styles. One of the brands that deliver easy installation is the Sideline Infinity 3-Sided Electric Fireplace by Touchstone.
- Environment Friendly - Because there are no dangerous or deadly gases or chemicals emitted into the environment, electric fireplaces have a far lower carbon footprint.
- Low Maintenance - While an electric fireplace does not require that much cleaning, unlike a regular fireplace. Just like anything in your house, it still does need to be cleaned. Here is a useful article on How to Clean an Electric Fireplace that you can refer to.
- Safety Pros - A wood rolling out of the fireplace or a shooting ember have no chance of starting a fire with an electric fireplace. It decreases the risk of any unwanted fireplace accidents. Plus, your kids and small pets are safe because there is no real fire for them to touch!
- Aesthetically Pleasing - High-end electric fireplaces can mimic the look of real flames. With a touch of a button, you can also modify the color of the flames depending on your home decor or mood.
What are the Best Electric Fireplaces?
You can go online for hours and look at tons of electric fireplaces online. There are so many to choose from. The good news is that we did the research and found the 2 best electric fireplaces on the market today. They are TouchStone and Modern Flames.
TouchStone Electric Fireplace
TouchStone was established in 2005. Since then, they have led the industry in electric fireplaces, TV lift cabinets, and TV lift mechanisms. Their guiding principle is straightforward: provide superior customer service while exceeding client expectations with high-quality products at reasonable costs.
One of their best sellers that people go to is the 72" Sideline Elite. To create the cozy atmosphere of a traditional fireplace, this electronic unit emits authentic-looking flames that emulate a real fire. The flames that Touchstone Home Products fireplaces create are natural enough to have friends and family think you own a traditional wood-burning fireplace. This fireplace has 60 color combinations, allowing you to set just the right mood. The lighting and heating options of this fireplace offer you the ability to customize your atmosphere to your liking. With both its look and performance, Sideline Elite gives you the total package. Both the heat and flame settings can be operated through remote control.
Modern Flames Electric Fireplace
For both residential and commercial settings, Modern Flames is renowned as an inventive pioneer in modern electric fireplace design and technology. Due to the ultra-realistic flame look combined with the simplicity of installation and price, the modern linear electric fireplace style became the norm for architects, designers, builders, and homeowners in North America in 2008.
Their all-time best-seller, the 40” Landscape Fullview 2 Series has truly proven the test of time with its elegant, fully-finished design and ultra-natural flame appearance. It has a built-in electric fireplace and is the first of its kind creating a perfect substitute for a linear gas fireplace. This unique frameless design allows for edge-to-edge flame presentation as well as unlimited surround capabilities. Available in 5 different lengths for any application as well as 2 customizable flame bed options for different fits and finishes. An optional 2-stage heater is also included for supplemental heat up to 450 square feet.
- Will not run during a power outage
- It may look and feel unrealistic
- Must check your electric outlets
- Some models may require extra help in installing
- Dust can form
- Some models are very easy to install
- They are eco-friendly
- Decrease the risk of fire-related injuries
- Very low maintenance unlike regular fireplaces
- Can mimic real flames
In general, people choose electric fireplaces because of their affordability, great efficiency, and all-around usefulness. It really sums up a person’s unique preference. Go to YBLGoods today to browse through a collection of high-quality electric fireplaces. Send them a message if you have any questions, their customer service representatives are there to help!